Voting

9.20.2011

Re fried Beans and Spanish Rice - Better then a Restaurant

Hello Ladies! I have a great dinner recipe for you today!  I have mentioned before that we have soccer 3 nights a week usually from 5:30-7 so that means I have to think ahead and prepare crock pot dinners, or easy ones that are ready when we get home. This is such an easy recipe, gets better as the days go on, and can feed an army.  Oh and did I mention it costs just cents to make.  Yep, this is a Major cost effective meal.  I serve these beans wrapped in homemade flour tortillas I buy from my fav Mexican food restaurant and load them with cheese.  I serve homemade Spanish rice on the side and all the boys in my house (and Moi, the only girl) are as satisfied as can be!  Enjoy!

Re fried Beans:

  • 1 bag dry pinto beans (small bag, 2.5 cups)
  • 3/4 onion peeled and chopped.
  • 7.5 cups water
  • 4 tsp. salt
  • 3 garlic cloves minced
  • 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
Put all in crock pot and cook on high for 6 hours or more. Drain beans but SAVE LIQUID! (I always put a colander in the sick when I need to save liquid to remind me, My friend Beautiful Mrs. K taught me that!)  Mash the beans with a hand help blender until smooth and creamy, adding reserved liquid until desired consistency is achieved.  Fill homemade flour tortillas with a generous amount of beans down the middle.  Put some shredded cheese on top (don't skimp, this MAKES these sooo yummy as the hot beans melt it) and fold up into a burro.  Serve with Spanish rice on the side.  Yummy!

Spanish Rice:

  • 1.5 cups white rice, not instant.
  • 2 Tbs. Minced onion
  • 1 can of Chicken Broth
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1 garlic clove minced
  • 1/4 tsp of salt or more to preference

Saute onion in a little oil in pan until translucent about 4 minutes.  Add Rice and cook until golden, adding the garlic the last minute of the sauteing time.  Slowly add the chicken broth, tomato sauce, and the salt and bring to a boil.  Then cover the pan and reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes or until rice is cooked.  Let sit 3 minutes and then fluff with fork and enjoy. 

2 comments:

  1. My fav! Going to post this on my blog and link back to you next week!! MMMMM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! We also have 3 soccer practices a week and I am on the look out for easy meals my kids will eat, they will love this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete